AMES, Iowa – The registration deadline for the Iowa Beef Center’s two-day Cow-Calf Short Course early next month is approaching and organizers encourage those interested to sign up soon. Extension program specialist Erika Lundy said the program is intended for advanced cattlemen and features classroom sessions and hands-on instruction.
“Our registration deadline for the Feb. 6-7 program is Wednesday, January 31, and includes all materials and meals,” Lundy said. “We’re concentrating on knowledge areas specific to beef cow nutrition, reproduction and calving management with presenters from Iowa State and South Dakota State University.”
The program will be held at the Hansen Agriculture Student Learning Center in Ames, running from 12:30 p.m. on Feb. 6 to 5 p.m. on Feb. 7.
“Several expert presenters will talk about reproduction and calving management, all in the same room,” said Erika Lundy, extension program specialist with the Iowa Beef Center. “The morning of day two will be a hands-on, intensive ‘Calving College.’ These sessions include a dystocia demonstration with a calving simulator, nicknamed Frosty the cow, and information on planning for calf size and newborn calf health management and processing.”
Other short course topics include:
- Body condition scoring demonstration.
- Setting the female up for a successful pregnancy.
- Exploring alternatives in the cow herd.
- Beef Quality Assurance (BQA) certification.
Registration for the course is $100 and includes materials and meals. Registration deadline is Jan. 31 and any cancellation requesting a refund also must be received by midnight Jan. 31. See the short course website for registration and additional course details.
Course instructors are:
- Taylor Grussing, cow-calf extension field specialist, South Dakota State University.
- David Bruene, beef teaching farm manager, Iowa State University.
- Dr. Chris Clark, beef specialist, Iowa State University Extension and Outreach.
- Dr. Grant Dewell, beef veterinarian, Iowa State University Extension and Outreach.
- Dr. Tyler Dohlman, professor of veterinary diagnostic and production animal science, Iowa State University Extension and Outreach.
- Erika Lundy, extension program specialist, Iowa Beef Center.
- Marshall Ruble, director of the Hansen Agriculture Student Learning Center, Iowa State University Extension and Outreach.
- Joe Sellers, beef specialist, Iowa State University Extension and Outreach.
“Because our agenda was designed to be very hands-on and interactive, we anticipate a high level of interest,” Lundy said. “Registration is limited to 30 participants, so we encourage people to register soon.”
For questions on the short course content or lodging contact Lundy at firstname.lastname@example.org. For assistance with registration, receipts, cancellation or questions on the status of your registration contact ANR Program Services at 515-294-6429 or email@example.com.
Source: Iowa State University Extension