Ashland Bottoms near Manhattan, Kansas is the site
MANHATTAN, Kan. — Advances in cover crop research will be featured at Kansas State University’s 2017 Agronomy Field Day on Friday, Nov. 3 at the Ashland Bottoms Research Farm, 2801 W. 40th Ave. in Manhattan. Topics will focus on understanding the role cover crops play in water quality, weed control, soil quality, and more.
The full list of topics and K-State speakers includes:
- Using cover crops for weed suppression – Anita Dille, weed ecology specialist;
- Improving soil quality with cover crops – DeAnn Presley, soil management specialist;
- Protecting surface water with healthy soils, cover crops, and fertilizer management – Nathan Nelson, soil fertility and nutrient management specialist;
- Soybean yields and cover crops – Ignacio Ciampitti, crop production and Doug Shoup, southeast area agronomist;
- Ten years of cover crops in a no-till wheat-sorghum-soybean rotation – Kraig Roozeboom, cropping systems agronomist; and
- Cover crops and nitrogen management – Peter Tomlinson, environmental quality specialist.
The field day will begin with registration at 9 a.m. and wrap up at 1 p.m. Sessions include two concurrent one-hour tours in the morning, starting at 9:30, followed by a poster session during and after lunch.
There is no charge to attend, and a complimentary lunch will be available. Preregistration is requested by Oct. 30 to ensure an accurate lunch count. To preregister online, see: https://agron-field-day-2017.eventbrite.com. You can also preregister by calling Troy Lynn Eckart at 785-532-5776. On-site registration will also be available.
Directions to Ashland Bottoms Research Farm:
- From K-177 Highway (south of the Kansas River Bridge): turn west on McDowell Creek Road and follow it 7.4 miles, turn right (north) on W. 40th Ave. and travel 1.2 miles.
- From Interstate 70, take Exit 307 and follow McDowell Creek Road 3.6 miles north before turning left (north) on W. 40th Ave and follow it 1.2 miles north.
For more information, interested persons can contact Dorivar Ruiz Diaz at 785-532-6183 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Source: KSU Extension
Leave A Comment