Need a quick catch-up on the news? Here are seven agricultural stories you might have missed this week.
1. Dreaming of planting corn? Here’s a checklist to help you prepare to harvest a bumper crop in 2018. – Indiana Prairie Farmer
2. The sixth round of North American Free Trade Agreement talks wrapped up Monday in Canada, with the next round scheduled for Mexico in late February. Both the Canadian Foreign Minister and Mexican Economic Minister expressed optimism after the talks concluded, while U.S. Trade Ambassador Robert Lighthizer said he wants the talks to move “much faster.” – Farm Futures
3. For the fifth year in a row, a nationwide cover crop survey of growers found that corn and soybean yields increased following cover crops. The survey found that cover crop acreage has doubled in the past five years. – Nebraska Farmer
4. President Trump gave his first State of the Union address. Agriculture groups praised the focus on infrastructure and trade. – Farm Futures
5. Summit Agricultural Group, based in Alden, Iowa, announced Jan. 30 a $100 million expansion of its FS Bioenergia facility, the leading corn ethanol production plant in Brazil. – Wallace’s Farmer
6. University of Wisconsin Extension dairy economist Bob Cropp says milk prices will continue to fall through the first quarter of 2018. – Wisconsin Agriculturalist
7. The average Pennsylvania leaseholder would get a one-time payment of $2,140 in a deal offered by Chesapeake Energy last year. The deal is on hold until Josh Shapiro, Pennsylvania’s attorney general, settles a separate, ongoing lawsuit. The issue has divided landowners. – American Agriculturalist
And your bonus.
The Hobart and Russell Creighton Hall of Animal Sciences is open for students and staff at Purdue University. – Indiana Prairie Farmer
And a double bonus:
Ahead of the Super Bowl, Land O’Lakes hosted the first-ever Farm Bowl, which pitted NFL player-farmer teams against each other to promote agriculture, and have a fun time. Check out the pictures, and a link to the entire event on video.